Sunday, July 10, 2005

Auto Increment

Again, it is not a technical blog.

Today, my son who returned from Tamilnadu after a quick visit to my relatives landed around 5AM in the famous Kalasipalayam.

Kalasipalayam is a famous place. I remember a song in a Kannada film (same title?) glorifying Kalasipalayam. And, I always have a sentimental attachment to this place. When I landed here for the first time with my fresh wife (you found it out: yes, it was Honeymoon) with all fear about the unknown city and state (I come from Tamilnadu) in a very early morning , there was a very friendly auto driver who came and offered to drop us in Kamath Hotel (where we had a reservation). He explained in Tamil that the place is far off - but as a favor he would drop us for Rs 6.50. (That time, the minimum, I think was around Rs 1). I then knew, I had already impressed my wife.

After checking in, while waiting for a tourist bus to come and pick us for an excursion, we took a small walk around the hotel and the beautiful Kalasipalayam bus stand was before us!

OK...OK...I am digressing. But, I am making the point too.

My son after landing in Kalasipalayam naturally looked around for an Auto. Wow...two drivers demanded Rs 120.....but before he made up his mind, they went off looking for another sucker. Then somebody wanted 2.5 times the auto fare. He finally caught somebody who offered to take him to Malleswaram (probably about 10KM?) for Rs 150.

Why do these auto drivers increment the fare so drastically? I have never managed to get an auto running on meter from Railway stations (or air ports for that matter). There is a thin line between the exploitation and the robbery and one should really watch out.

In one of the recent mail groups, there was a discussion about the auto fare being an index of corruption. I think there is some sense in that argument.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home